Monday, June 15, 2015

Blessed to have Friends

Blessed to have Friends

Last night, I had a ‘heart to heart’ with a friend (let’s call her Sally). Sally is a wonderful artist and a businesswoman. Overall, she’s a happy and positive person.  After a long conversation she brought up the subject of her boyfriend who I had met just a few months ago. She told me that she had broken up with him because he had become controlling and disrespectful of her and her work.

I understood all too well when Sally said she regretted that she had invested a lot of time and heart in someone who was not worthy of her, and at the same time, missed the companionship.

Here’s an excerpt of our conversation:

Sally: I broke up with him a while back and I am so much happier now. He ended up being really controlling.  A pattern I had to break and deal with.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Learning-to-LIVE/780670125337205?ref=hl
Me: I am happy and sad for you at the same time.  It is definitely important to take care of yourself, and if letting go of someone is what you need to do then that is what has to be done. 

Sally: I just have to make sure each step is fruitful. Amazing, how all our experiences were meant for us to learn and help others understand.  It was a blessing in the end and I have no regrets. The only thing is that time is going by so fast and we have no control over it.

Me: Maybe there is only so much time because we only have so much to do.

Sally: Exactly, LOL!

Me: So, I try to be happy with what I am able to do and let go of and forgive myself for what I can’t.

Sally: Very wise words my friend! It is so true.

            Sally’s experience was an important reminder - Don’t let someone get comfortable with disrespecting you. Our past experiences make us strong and wise for new experiences.  But just as important are friends that can share and learn from each other.  I am blessed and grateful for my friends!


Veera

No comments:

Post a Comment