Monday, November 9, 2015

Didn’t know I would be thinking about my mom like this…




Spending time with my mom for the last three weeks was amazing in more ways than I thought possible. I think we both grew as individual women and in our mother-daughter relationship.


I remembered my mom as a woman who did everything for everyone and taught and sometimes even pushed me to follow her footsteps. Over time she has let go of emotionally controlling me and I have learned to stop behaving as a little girl who did what she wanted and then felt bad and complained.  We were both stuck in dysfunctional co-dependent dynamics of a loving and irritating relationship.


Last month, when we were planning her trip to visit me, I was excited to see her and spend time with her, but my close friends also knew that I was a little skeptical of how the three weeks together would be. I was expecting argument about one sore subject at least.  But, the three weeks came and went. I just dropped her off at the airport on a flight to Michigan. I think she went home happy.


All I know is I am going to miss her. I miss having tea and lunch with her.  We had many conversations about many different topics. I have learned to accept her at her level and it seems like she has decided to accept my way of living and me.

 

In the whole three weeks we were together, we tried to spend as much time together as we could and sometimes she read her book or watched CNN while I did my work. Anyone who knows my mom knows that when she is here, I don’t have to listen to news, watch sports or look for the weather channel.  My mom knows everything. At the end of the day, she will update me with everything important happening in the world. She also updates me on all family news, even when I don’t want to know.

 

It was fun having my mom here. I am going to miss her. We have grown from loving each other to also respecting each other. It took growing up on both of our parts, and I am happy that we have made peace and are in this wonderful loving place now.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment